This is traditional soup from Shkodra which is used mostly for holidays or guests. The soup is made either with lamb or veal meat without bones, but can be made with shanks of the lamb as well. It’s a dish that takes around two hours or more to boil and is a starter in the dinner.
- 1- 2 pounds lamb or veal meat
- 1 large onion thinly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves thinly minced
- 1 dozen dry plums
- 2 T sunflower oil
- 1 T tomato paste
- 3 cups of water ( add more as it boils if needed)
- 1 T strong red grape vinegar
- ½ t salt
- ½ t black pepper
- 3 laurel leaves ( to be removed after cooking)
- ½ t parsley
1. As always drizzle the oil in the pan. Pour the onion and the garlic and saute till caramelized.
2. Add the meat and turn for a minute. Add the tomato paste, the plums, the vinegar, salt, pepper, parsley and mix together. Add the water little by little and keep on mixing till it starts boiling.
3. add the laurel leaves, cover and let it boil for around two hours in low heat. Add some more liquid if needed. Serve warm.