Kukurec is a specialty in the south of Albania and Macedonia made with knitted lamb intestines, strips of lamb tripe, or lamb sweetbreads. The women in the south always make a great effort to prepare this dish for holidays or special occasions, cooking it either over the fire or in the oven.
One lamb’s intestines
1–2 pounds lamb tripe and/or sweetbread
1 t salt
½ t black pepper
½ t oregano
½ t rosemary
- Thoroughly wash the intestines by flipping them inside-out, rinsing them, and then returning them to right-side-out and rinsing them once again.
- Cut the tripe or sweetbreads into even pieces that are small enough to fit onto skewers. Thread all of the pieces onto skewers.
- Wrap the skewered meat with the intestines until the organ meat is completely covered.
- Season the skewers with salt, pepper, oregano, and rosemary.
- Cook the skewers either on the grill or in the oven. If you are roasting them in the oven, be sure to add half a cup of water to the pan.
- Serve immediately!