Welcome back to another episode of the Eating Albanian Cooking Series. Today, we’re in for a real treat as our beloved Aferdita, introduces us to the comforting world of Halva, made the Albanian way!
This traditional dessert warms the heart and brings a sense of coziness as a guaranteed crowd-pleaser, winning over everyone with its smooth texture, crunchy nuts, comforting aroma and savory taste.
You can use any measuring tool to make as big or as small of a batch of halva as you wish, because the ingredient amounts are easy to remember: 1, 2, 3, 4!
So go ahead and make that halva to bring peace into your soul, to celebrate life or something or someone special to you!
- -1 cup oil or ghee
- 2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 3 cups raw sugar
- 4 cups water
- Rose water, orange blossom water or vanilla extract as you wish
- Toasted crushed walnuts, if needed.
- -1 gotë vaj ose gjalpë( tlyn)
- 2 gota miell
- 3 gota sheqer i papërpunuar
- 4 gota ujë
- Ujë trëndafili, ujë me lule portokalli ose ekstrakt vanilje sipas dëshirës
- Arra të pjekura të copëtuara sipas dëshirës
1. Mix the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium heat.
2. Heat the oil in a separate large pan. Once the oil is hot, stir in the flour and drop the heat to medium. Keep stirring so that the flour does not burn. Continue to cook and stir until the flour has become a dark golden brown and the oil has separated from the flour.
3. Pour the boiling sugar syrup over the flour mixture in three additions, stirring slowly and carefully between each addition. Once all of the syrup has been added, stir until you have a soft dough. At this point, you can add the optional vanilla extract and chopped nuts.
4. Use a spoon to form small pieces of dough into egg shapes (or any shape you like!), and place them on a platter to cool completely before serving.
Don’t miss a single recipe—click the notification bell and stay tuned for more Albanian gastronomic revelations.
Let’s bring the magic into our kitchens!
Bukë e kripë e zemër!