- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (64g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 & 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 & 3/4 cups (350g) packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 & 1/3 cups water
- confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch round (2 inches deep) cake pan. Dust with flour and knock out the excess.
2. Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and brown sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
4. Add the flour mixture to butter mixture in batches, alternating with water. Begin and end with flour. Mix just until combined.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 55-60 minutes, until the cake is springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Cool in the pan for an hour. Then invert onto a wire rack, then onto serving plate. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.