- 2 T olive oil
- 1 pound cubed chicken breast (you can also use a mixture of leg and wing meat)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 T minced garlic
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1 cup medium or large-sized egg noodles
- 1 cup water or chicken stock (you can add more if needed)
- 1 T seasoning, mixed to taste: start with salt, and add your desired spices, such as turmeric, black pepper, smoked paprika, basil, oregano, rosemary, fennel seed, and ginger.
Heat the oil in a medium pot and add the onion and the garlic. Sauté for a minute, and then add the chicken. Cook until the chicken turns white and the onion is translucent and soft.
Stir in the tomato sauce.
Add the vegetables and mix. Pour in the water (or chicken stock), and then add salt, pepper, and your seasonings and herbs. Stir everything together and let the soup boil for 15–20 minutes.
Taste the liquid and add more turmeric or other herbs if you think it needs more. The intensity of these flavors will change after the noodles are cooked, so no worries if you think you may have added too many herbs! Add more water or stock if you want your soup to have more broth. You can’t go wrong with this soup!
Add the noodles and let the soup boil for another 7–10 minutes. Taste it again, and make sure the seasoning is now to your or your children’s liking. Remember, if they have a cold, a bit of extra turmeric and ginger will go a long way to get rid of those spring sniffles. Just make sure not to overdo it.
Serve the soup warm, and with every spoonful they will taste your love!